NEWS! Josh Hicks launches kayak and canoe rental as well as livery (pick up/drop off) on the Union City Heritage Water Trail! Finally rental and livery in the area! Thanks Josh and we hope you do well! Here’s his link: Hicks In the Sticks Wet Adventures
NEWS! South Bend Tribune, Outdoor Adventures Columnist, Joe Dits Reviews the Union City Heritage Water Trail. (originally published in 7/16 Joe’s column on the UCHWT won him a writing award later in 2016)
The Union City Historic Water Trail was launched on July 3rd, 2016 as part of the Village’s Sesquicentennial Celebration (July 1-3 Free Fest!) with nearly 200 floaters and paddlers joining in the initial celebratory float. Twenty eight sites, signs with information and vintage images, commemorate the Village’s rich river history on a 5 mile stretch of
waterway that starts at the J.P. Palmer Launch on Coldwater River, joining the St. Joe heading west through village across Union Lake culminating 5 miles downstream at the Riley dam. It was created by a committee of local citizens and supported by the Village, local property owners, organizations and businesses through signage sponsorship and permission to place the historic markers. Facebook users, please join us at Friends of the Union City Heritage Water Trail and share your experiences and photos of our trail.
The project was initiated by retired teacher, kayaker and long time lake resident Val Rossman who noticed the Michigan Heritage Water Trail lower on the St. Joseph River and approached the Sesquicentennial Planning Committee in 2014 with the idea. In early 2015 a committee was formed consisting of interested paddlers and residents including:
- Val Rossman, Chair, Union City
- Sandra Silsby, Union City
- Erik, Abby and Evvie Borne, Jolliet, Il and summer lake residents
- Mark Havens, Litchfield
- Ashley Herman, Union City
- Amber Armstrong, Union City
- Ivanne Spooner, Union City
- Robin Secord, Union City
- T.J Secord, Union City
- Karen Newhouse, Union City
- David Wright, Union City
- Helene Wright, Union City
- Paula DeJongh, Union City
- Marta Onofrio, Union City
- Val Rossman for spearheading the committee and contributing much time, effort and passion into collecting data, creating signs and developing a legacy for the community.
- Marty and Ron Chard, Union City originals and local historians, whose resources and collection of historic photos and postcards contributed immensely to this project.
- Property owners and the village who gave permission for the placement of the marker.
- Local individuals, organizations, and business who funded the signage.
- The Village of Union City, President William Avery, the Village Council and former Village Manager Jim Campfield who supported the new launch on the Coldwater River in 2013 and the first portage around the Riley Dam in 2015 to enhance the paddling opportunities on the upper St. Joe.
- Village Manager, Chris Mathis who has continued to work on the dam portage and support the HWT efforts.
- Dave Lemberg, WMU Professor who initiated the Michigan Heritage Water Trails Project lower on the St. Joe and other waterways that spurred the idea for this project.
- The 2016 Sesquicentennial Committee and the Union City Society for Historic Preservation for their encouragement and support.
- Mark Havens who came through with his creation when we were desperately seeking an industrial strength post driver.
- Pottery Rocks! local pottery studio for in kind donation and creation of our ribbon cutting souvenirs.
- Nick Roden and Stockhouse Prints of Hillsdale for their consultation and sign printing.
Individuals, Organizations and Business Who Sponsored Signs:
- Union City Parks and Recreation
- Chip and Anita Riddle
- The William Avery Family
- AcMoody Farms
- Wallen Farms
- The Ben Chard Family
- The Eric Elgan Family
- Merchants Hardware
- Larry and Susan Shroyer
- The Bucket
- All Things Serenity LLC
- William Coats, Realtor
- Lane Veterinary Services, Alex Lane DVM
- Jacks Family Grocery, Cindy Fox
- The Borne Family, Erik, Olivia, Evvie, Abby, Quinn & Clara
- Marty and Em Chard
- Green Thumb Garden Club
- The Union City Wesleyan Church
- Jo Ann and Dale Manchester
- Marta and Patrick Onofrio
- Bob and Sara Brewer
- Hull Farms/Dovey’s Roost
- Doug and Theresa Davis
- The Swartzle Family
- Val Rossman
- Union Lake Community Association
- Chris and Bobbie Mathis